Friday, 26 August 2011

Sidonius Schrom

I thought I would share this picture with you.


I bought this a few months ago at an antiques market after being attracted to the light and colour and sense of space, a bit like Engelbert Lap or Paul Leschorn. It was not too expensive but I still had some reservations about buying it. By that time I had not bought a thing and wondered whether I was having a "must buy something" moment. Also; I could not read the signature and the only visible signature was on a paper mount ! was the print signed ?


So - I bought it and took it back home to start the research. The first plus was that I found another signature on the print, that was a relief, but I just could not decipher the signature - Schramm, Schranm, Schrumm and so on - no luck. So to Google Images for a try - German Woodblock Tyrol Lap, you know all the usual key words

- and there he was Sidonius Schrom (1902-1960) or more correctly Sidonius von Schromm. - see comments.

There does not seem to be much information about his life and works, but what there is can be found on the blog Art and the Aesthete @ www.clivechristy.com/2009/08/sidonius-schrom-1902-1960.html
Post a Comment