Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Guilds Schools & Classes

Art Workers Guild
est 1884
formed by a group of leading artisans including the "15",It latter develpoed into The Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society. The Guild continues today
Artificers Guild
1901-42




They were a London based manufacturers of metalwork, silver and jewelery in the art and crafts style.  Founded in 1901 by Nelson Dawson from his workshop in Chiswick. Dawson sold the business in 1903 to Montague Fordham. He had previously been a director of the Birmingham Guild of Handicraft. Led by their chief designer Edward Spencer from c1903.
Workers included J H M Bonnor who designed jewellery and marked work "JHMB", Charles Moxey, Eric Ross, S Smith, John Green, Walter Spencer, Frank Green, Frank Jobe, H R Fowler and G Spink. Silver usually hallmarked base metals usually unmarked
Birmingham Guild of Handicraft.   
 Their motto was
"By Hammer and Hand"

  
Established c1890 as part of the Birmingham Kyrle Society. With Arthur Dixon and Montague Fordham as directors. By 1895 they were a limited company based at the Kyrle Hall, Sheep St, Birmingham. They moved to Great Charles Str in 1898 where they made metalwork, lighting, furniture and had their own press. Arthur Dixon was chief designer with other noted associates of A E Jones and Bernard Sleigh. In 1905 they merged with E & R Gittins which brought Llewelyn Roberts in to the organisation and in 1919 there was a further merger with Hart, Son & Pearl. They remained active into the 1950's  and still shown in directories as "The Birmingham Guild Ltd., Architectural & Decorative Metalworkers" of Grosvenor Road West and Sherbourne St. Registered hallmark in Birmingham from 1897, this being BGHLtd within a diamond and from B.G.Ltd within a rectangle from 1910.
Birmingham
School of Jewellery
&
College of Arts and Crafts
Established in 1889/90 by the Birmingham Jewellery and Silversmiths Association offering evening classes. Headmasters have included Robert Catterson-Smith, Arthur Gaskin, W T Blackband, R G Baxendale and Gerald Whiles. Significant students included; Bernard Cuzner, Thomas Cuthbertson, Cyril Shiner, Robert Welch and Eric Clements. For a complete history, try;
http://www.schoolofjewellery.co.uk/about/history
The Bromsgrove Guild of Applied Arts
(1898–1966)
Established by Walter Gilbert they worked in metal, wood, glass and tapestry. Designer included Joseph Hodel, Phoebe Stabler and others. They made the made gates to Buckingham Palace.
Central School of Arts and Crafts
was established by the London County Council in 1896 to provide specialist art teaching for workers in the craft industries. The school was intended to be a centre at which art scholars and students could be brought under the influence of established artists and employers. Continues today as the Central St Martins College of Art and Design. Noted teacher include; William Lethaby,   Noted students include;
Century Guild of Artists
Established in 1882 as a commercial venture by the architect Authur Heygate Mackmurdo. In 1884 'The Hobby Horse' magazine was started by the Guild, to encourage the revival of arts and crafts. Head of metal work was briefly William Kellock Brown.
Cromer Guild of Handicraft
Established c1910 by Guild Master Herbert H Stansfield "to attempt to application of  the teaching of Ruskin, William Morris and others in connection with the production by hand-work of simple and beautiful articles of everyday use as well as work of ecclesiastical character"  The International Studio 1914. Noted work includes a lamp bracket in the sanctuary at St Martin, Overstrand and a memorial plaque in The Church of St Micheal and All Saints, Maidstone.
Dryad
Metal Works
 
Established by Harry Peach with the help of Benjamin Fletcher as Dryad Cane Furniture in c1906. Harry Peach (1874-1936) had been a bookseller before being inspired by the writing of Willam Morris and William Lethaby.
Dryad Metal Works was established in 1912 when Peach went into partnership with William H Pick the proprietor of the firm Collins & Co of Leicester. They made many base metal items with one of the most successful lines being a copper bowl with a brass twisted wire rim and cast brass feet. Also some silver items with Birmingham hallmarks of C&Co and Dryad.
Exhibited at the 1922 and 1929, British Industries Fair, White City.
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/wiki/Dryad_Cane_and_Metal_Works
http://gimson.leicester.gov.uk/leicesterdesigners/harry-peach
Farnham School of Art
This school was founded in1866. William Herbert Allen was master from 1889 to 1927. Students often worked in association with the Farnham Pottery with W H Allen designing item for the Pottery. The studio potter Henry Hammond was a ceramic instructor during the 1960's70's.
Fivemiletown
The Filemiletown Class was established in 1882 by Mary Montgomery in County Tyrone, Ireland. Initially items were designed by her husband and later by John Williams. John Williams had previously worked with the Guild of Handicrafts.
They regularly exhibted at 
The Home Arts and Industries Exhibition including 1900.
Guild of Handicraft Ltd



The Guild of Handicraft was established by Charles Robert Ashbee (1863-1942) in 1888 with it's first permanent workshop in EssexHouse in the Mile End Road. They moved to Chipping Campden in 1902 and the venture failed by 1907. Hallmark continued in use by George Hart and continues today from the Chipping Campden Workshop.
This is just a short introduction. For more detail try;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Robert_Ashbee
http://www.styles-silver.co.uk/acatalog/Guild_of_Handicraft.html
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/speel/otherart/ashbee.htm

Kensington School of Design
They had some design input to the Kenmare Lace workshops in Ireland. Which had been established by the Poor Clares to provide training and employment for women and girls made destitute in the great famine. 
Keswick School of Industrial Art
See separate posting.
Morecombe HEC
This mark was seen on a brass trivet with the same construction as those made at  Keswick. Possibly "higher education class"
Newcastle Handicrafts Company
A firm of silversmith operating in Newcastle c1890-1910. Head of design and founder is understood to be Richard G Hatton (1865-1926)The Guild was sponsored by the industrialist Lord Armstrong (1810-1900). He was a major benefactor of Durham University and of the Newcastle School of Arts and Crafts. 

Their designs rely heavily on the arts and crafts traditional often mixing traditional silversmith with artistic hand painted enamel panels. Hallmark of NHC was registered at the Birmingham assay office. 


They exhibited at the
Northumberland Handicrafts Guild Exhibition in 1901 and featured in "The Studio" in
also refered to as the; Handicraft Company of Newcastle & Newcastle Guild of Handicraft
Newlyn Industrial Class

Established in 1890 by the artist John Drew Mackenzie assisted by the benefactor T.B.Bolitho, and artists Reginald Dick, T.C.Gotch and Perry Craft. John Pearson taught metal work, he had previously been with the Guild of Handicrafts and subsequently worked for himself producing fine repousse metalwares and some crudely decorated pottery.
The class made very fine repousse copper items decorated fishing and coastal themes. Such as; crabs, fish, seagulls, cormorants and later views of St Michaels Mount. Some small items usually jewellery were made in silver.
This is just a short introduction. For more detail try;
http://www.artscrafts.org.uk/branches/newlyn/newlynhistory.html
http://www.artsandcraftsmetalwork.co.uk/page7.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newlyn_Copper
Northern Art Workers' Guild
Founded in 1896.
Founder members included architect Sir Raymond Unwin (1863 – 1940) and Edgar Wood (1860–1935). Other members included J R Cooper, Hugh Wallis
Red Rose Guild
est 1920 - 1962
The Red Rose Guild was founded in 1920 and continued until 1963 with a break 1940-46 during World War II.  The guild was established after an exhibition at the Houldsworth Hall in Manchester organised by the wood engraver Margaret Pilkington, There first official exhibition as the Red Rose Guild of Artworkers was held in October 1921with exhibitors including Phyllis Barron and Ethel Mairet and with founder members including Hugh Wallis. Bernard Leach and William Staite Murray started to exhibit from 1924 .
Scottish Guild of Handicraft Ltd
Originally based in Glasgow they moved to Burghmuir, Sterling in an effort to be more Scottish. Listed in the 1906 directory as art metal workers. Design motifs include celtic knots similar to A Ritchie. In The Studio 1905 they say
"The Scottish Guild of Handicraft is a labour co-partnership association, the aims and advantages of which are at once clear. A temporary committee of eight members has gathered together a certain number of artists, chiefly of the house and of the book, who propose to sell their work on their own common account, By means of frequent exhibitions and of a sale-store, they keep in touch with the public, avoiding entirely the interference of the middleman, and dividing his profits between the public and themselves. The committee judges whether an artist's standard is high enough for his admittance to the Guild. After admission he has to take care to keep his work at a high enough standard, or he may be expelled. The Guild may refuse to exhibit the work of its members, even without expelling the artist."

Members included; Margaret De Courcy Lethwaite Dewar (1878-1959), John Ednie, William Kellock Brown (1856-1934)
The Yattenden Class


Was a metalwork class which flourished c1890 until c1914. It was established by the wife of the architect Alfred Price Waterhouse (Natural History Museum) and based at the Manor of Yattendon in Berkshire. I can't find out who the Teacher was although the name John Williams is often quoted. The designs were by Mrs Waterhouse and other members of the family.

    They had some success and exhibited at the Home Arts Industries Association exhibitions and regularly featured in The Studio. Wares are usually unmarked with the occassional scratched signature.

For sources on these classes the Studio Year books are a must. However, they are now getting scare and expensive so an alternative source are the Taschen series of Decorative Arts books and some of these are pricey as well.


    


This blog is "free to all" with no joining fees - financed by the few clicks on sponsored adverts.

    
Sponsored links.
Post a Comment